Why create your own music stand?
Music stands are essential for any musician, but the options available in the market can be pricey or not fit your specific needs. Creating your own music stand can save you money and allow you to customize it to match your playing space.
To create your own music stand, you will need:
- Wooden board (at least 10” x 14”)
- Wooden dowel (1” diameter and at least 2 feet long)
- Drill with a 1” drill bit and a ¼” drill bit
- Stain or paint (optional)
Steps to build your music stand
Follow these steps to create your own music stand:
- Measure and mark the center of the board, then drill a 1” hole through it.
- Measure and mark the center of one side of the board, then drill a ¼” hole about 3” from the top.
- Cut the dowel to your desired length, leaving 3” extra on top. Sand the dowel until smooth.
- Screw the base of the dowel into the 1” hole on the board.
- Insert the other end of the dowel into the ¼” hole, which will act as a support for your sheet music.
- If desired, stain or paint the stand and let it dry completely before use.
Tips and variations
Here are some tips to make your music stand-building process smoother:
- Make sure the dowel is securely attached to the base, as it will hold the weight of your sheet music.
- You can adjust the height of the stand by cutting the dowel to your desired length.
- Add a small lip to the bottom of the board to prevent your music from sliding off.
- Instead of using a wooden board, you can also use a wire hanger to create a more portable and lightweight stand.
Creating your own music stand is a fun and practical project that can save you money and add a personal touch to your playing space. With a few materials and easy-to-follow steps, you can build a sturdy and adjustable stand that will hold your sheet music and keep you playing for hours.