How Often Should I Replace My Duvet?
A good night’s sleep is essential to health and wellbeing, and a comfortable duvet is key to achieving that. However, not many people think about how often they should replace their duvet. Here’s what you need to know.
Why You Should Replace Your Duvet
A duvet is a breeding ground for dust mites, dead skin cells, and other allergens that can cause respiratory problems and trigger asthma and other allergic reactions. Experts recommend replacing your duvet every five to ten years, depending on usage and maintenance.
Signs You Need to Replace Your Duvet
If you’re not sure whether it’s time to replace your duvet, here are some signs to look out for:
- The filling is lumpy or uneven
- The duvet has lost its shape or thickness
- The fabric is torn or stained
- You’re experiencing allergies or respiratory problems
How to Clean and Maintain Your Duvet
Regular cleaning and maintenance can extend the life of your duvet. Here’s how:
- Wash your duvet every six months, or more frequently if you have allergies or sweat excessively
- Use a gentle detergent and cold water to protect the filling and prevent shrinkage
- Avoid using fabric softeners and bleach, as they can damage the filling and fabric
- Dry your duvet on a low setting or air-dry it to prevent damage to the filling and fabric
- Store your duvet in a breathable cotton bag to protect it from dust and prolong its lifespan
Replacing your duvet every five to ten years and following proper cleaning and maintenance practices can help you sleep better and reduce your risk of allergies and respiratory problems. Keep an eye out for signs that your duvet needs to be replaced and take steps to care for it properly.