Soft Tip vs Steel Tip Dartboard: What’s the difference?
Darts has long since grown in popularity since its inception, and many improvements have been made to the game over the years, one of which is the tipping of the darts. Today, when we talk about darts, we have two variations of darts; the soft tip darts and the steel tip darts. But what is the difference between a soft tip and steel tip dartboard? Read on to find out.
What are Soft Tip Dartboards?
Soft tip dartboards are electronic dartboards that come with delicate plastic tips which stick to the board using small pins. They are commonly made from plastic and have an electronic system which records how much score the dartsman gets with each throw. The darts used with this board are made from a lightweight material, and they are more prone to bending or breaking.
What are Steel Tip Dartboards?
Steel tip dartboards, on the other hand, are made entirely of sisal fibers, a durable and robust plant material. They come with steel-tipped darts which are more substantial compared to soft tip darts. They stick firmly into the board, and players need to retrieve them manually after each throw. Steel tip darts require more space for gameplay, and as such, they are ideal for large areas.
Key Differences between Soft Tip and Steel Tip Dartboards
While at first glance, soft tip and steel tip dartboards may look similar there are several notable differences between them:
- Material Used: Soft tip dartboards are made from plastic materials. Steel tip dartboards are made from sisal fibers, a durable and robust plant material.
- Type of Dart used: Soft tip dartboards come with lightweight plastic-tipped darts that may bend or break easily. Steel tip dartboards come with steel-tipped darts which are sturdier and heavier.
- Space Requirement: Soft tip dartboards require less space compared to steel tip dartboards which need a more significant area for gameplay.
- Scoring: Soft tip dartboards have an electronic system, which records the player’s score automatically. Steel tip dartboards demand manual scoring.
- Player Skill Level: Soft tip darts have been dubbed the ‘beginner’s darts’ compared to steel tip darts, which are ideal for advanced players who have mastered the art of throwing.
Which is the Best?
The choice between soft tip and steel tip dartboards is largely a matter of personal preference. Simple gameplay and ease of use make soft tip dartboards the ideal choice for beginners, while serious darts players tend to prefer the added challenge and traditional feel of steel tip dartboards. Ultimately, both versions are great for people who are looking to engage in an enjoyable game of darts either alone or with friends.