For runners, GPS watches have become an essential part of training and tracking progress. These watches can help runners monitor their strides, distance covered, speed, and much more. With many brands and models available in the market, it can be challenging to choose the best GPS watch for running.
Features to Consider
Before choosing a GPS watch for running, consider the following:
- GPS Accuracy: The watch’s GPS should be accurate to within a few feet, or you could end up running more or fewer miles than intended.
- Battery Life: Most watches’ batteries will last between 8-20 hours in GPS mode, depending on the brand and model. A long-lasting battery is essential, especially for marathon runners.
- Water Resistance: For runners who like to train in all weather conditions, a water-resistant GPS watch is crucial. Some watches come with a waterproof rating of up to 50 meters.
- Customization: The watch you choose should allow for customization of data fields to display during your run, including time, distance covered, heart rate, and many more.
Top GPS Watches for Running
After considering the features mentioned above, we have rounded up the top GPS watches for running:
- Garmin Forerunner 945: This watch comes with an advanced running dynamics feature, which measures ground contact time and vertical oscillation, thus providing real-time feedback on your running form. It also has a long battery life of up to 36 hours in GPS mode.
- Polar Vantage V2: This lightweight watch comes with a highly accurate GPS, allowing for real-time pace and distance tracking. Additionally, Polar Vantage V2 has a long battery life of up to 40 hours in GPS mode.
- Coros Vertix: Coros Vertix has a battery life of up to 150 hours in regular mode and 60 hours in GPS mode. It is built to withstand extreme weather conditions, making it ideal for trail runners. It also comes with advanced safety features, including real-time assistance and emergency alert notifications.
- Garmin Forerunner 245: This watch is ideal for beginner and intermediate runners. It comes with an accurate GPS and a long battery life of up to 24 hours in GPS mode. It also has a music storage feature, allowing you to listen to your favorite workout playlist while on the run.
- Suunto 7: This watch comes with a Wear OS by Google, enabling you to access popular fitness apps from the Google Play Store. Suunto 7 also has a long battery life of up to 12 hours in GPS mode, making it suitable for daily use and short runs.
Choosing the best GPS watch for running will depend on your needs and budget. Consider the features mentioned above before making a purchase. With our top picks, you can’t go wrong!