Why Cleaning a Putty Knife is Important?
If you are a DIY enthusiast or a professional painter, you understand the importance of keeping your tools clean. A putty knife is one such tool that needs regular cleaning to ensure its longevity. Not cleaning it properly can result in rusting, making the blade dull or even making it unusable.
Tools Required to Clean Putty Knife
The tools required to clean a putty knife are readily available in most households or can be easily obtained from a nearby hardware store. The tools required are:
- A bucket or a bowl for warm water
- Dish soap or any other mild detergent
- Scrub brush or a sponge
- A clean towel or rag
How to Clean Putty Knife?
Follow these simple steps to clean your putty knife:
- Fill a bucket or a bowl with warm water and add a few drops of dish soap or any mild detergent to it.
- Dip the blade of the putty knife into the soapy water and let it sit for a few minutes.
- Use a scrub brush or a sponge to gently scrub the blade of the putty knife to remove any stubborn residue or dried putty.
- Rinse the putty knife under running water to remove any soap residue.
- Pat dry the putty knife with a clean towel or rag.
Here are some additional tips that can help you keep your putty knife clean:
- Do not leave your putty knife soaking in water for an extended period as it can result in rusting.
- Always dry your putty knife after cleaning to prevent rusting.
- Store your putty knife in a dry place.
- Use a rust inhibitor spray to prevent rusting.
Cleaning a putty knife is a simple task that can significantly prolong the lifespan of the tool. By following the steps mentioned above and taking necessary precautions, you can keep your putty knife in pristine condition for years to come.